Monday, May 30, 2016

A Splash of Color and Foreshadowing

Mystery at Brantley No. 3 Shaft
Mount Bethel Mystery Publishing July 2016



One of my recent element needs was a totem pole for the exterior of my gateway building at Rare Find Park. My weakness for earthy colors and my plan to use  a restricted color palette for this storybuild does at times get too dark. I needed a jewel tone splash. 

But I did not want my build's look to be so different from the researched RL photo I used for my memory reference (I intentionally did not look for the reference photo until after I built the model).  This is a story that uses nonfiction details, but is not based historical fact.   I think I got close enough (authenticity). The totems not only provided the color.  They provide foreshadowing for the story to come.

Since  I did not have a lot of time to spend, I used what I call the Nearly Paint by Number process (stress free painterly fun).  You can find the process here. Joy of Texture Painting  More information about to build 3d illustrations start to finish is forthcoming, but for those builders who already know how to model the forms,  the Blender texture painting tips may be all you need to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment